Sunday, August 10, 2014

COGIC Power for Living | A COMMUNITY FORGIVES – Adult Sunday School Lesson for 8/10/2014

Do As I Say, AND As I Do

This review is brought to you by the Kentucky First Jurisdiction Church of God in Christ Sunday School Department.  

LESSON AIM: By the end of the lesson, we will; grasp Paul's message to the Corinthians about the connection among people in a community; gauge the influence of harm or benefit to one person in a community on the whole group; and generate a list of people to pray for who may need forgiveness for harming others.

BIBLE TRUTH: People need to forgive each other.

2 Corinthians 1:23 – 2:11 | King James Version (KJV)

23 Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul, that to spare you I came not as yet unto Corinth.

24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

1 But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness.

2 For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?

3 And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.

4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.

5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.

6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.

7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.

8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.

9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.

10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;

11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.

The scriptures of this lesson open with Paul’s very somber and saddened letter to the Church at Corinth. We can see that “something” has happened within the congregation of believers. Apparently, “someone” (not named here) has really hurt Paul. In the preceding lessons, Paul was “working out” this new church. He was helping their understanding and rebuking them quite a bit. It was because he had a very great love for this particular church. From verse 23 to verse 1, he’s letting them know that he didn’t want to come back and visit them in sorrow or with a heavy heart. So, he simply sent this letter (by Titus) to them to allow them to read it and deal with the situation outlined within it, as a corporate body of believers. All of this must have been really tough for Paul. In verse 4, he says that even while he was writing the letter to them that he was crying tears over it…trying to make it through the message!

SIDE NOTE: We’ve all heard it before, more pastors, preachers, and spiritual leaders say, “the message comes to me first, before I can really preach it to others”. That’s what we’re seeing here. As Paul is dealing with the hurt and pain of being betrayed and rejected (in some way…we are not given clear insight as to WHAT it was) he is dealing with it as a true man of God. The message God gives leaders is powerful and convicting. It SHOULD pierce their hearts and minds so strongly, that it carries over to those who are listening and causes them to respond, repent, and reconnect with God.

In verse 5, Paul begins with instructing the church on how to deal with a perpetrator. He warns them not to overreact and fly off the handle concerning a wrongdoer in verses 5 and 6. Forgive the person and comfort the person. This statement probably shocked the Corinthians! How could they allow someone to hurt their Pastor so badly, and them just let them off the hook? Paul knew what he was asking them to do. In verse 8, he’s yet strongly urging them to do exactly what he has outlined for them LOVE the person by forgiving them. And in verse 9, he says, “Okay, if you’re really the obedient church you say to are…you’ll do this. If you REALLY love the Lord, you’ll do this.” Obedient people who love God will obey even when it hurts or doesn’t seem fair. Paul states, “I have already forgiven, so you all can follow suit!”

SIDE NOTE: Why is it important to forgive? Forgiveness is an essential attribute for any Christian. From a natural standpoint, forgiveness is seen as a sign of weakness, especially for men. “He got PUNKED”. “She’s a doormat”! The world in which we live teaches us to “get even” or “retaliate” with a hurt greater than or equal to the hurt that was done to us. That’s totally opposite to what God is asking us to do. A mature believer will really understand that by forgiving and comforting, we display the ultimate at of free-will. God gives us a choice to forgive and love. Our choice to obey His word and forgive proves our love for Him and our allegiance to His plan of salvation for others. The wrongdoer KNOWS what they deserve, but mercy and grace give him what is unexpected…forgiveness, the opportunity to repent, and ultimately join into the Body of Christ and experience restoration.

Paul is strategic in what he is doing. He knows that Satan wishes nothing more than to break up the church, so he gives him a black eye (see this related article). He wants to set the example for the church he loves so much. And, he knows that without having the love it takes to forgive, Paul’s own cry to God for forgiveness will not be honored (Matthew 6:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment