Sunday, October 12, 2014

COGIC Power for Living | EVEN SO, MY REDEEMER LIVES – Adult Sunday School Lesson for 10/12/2014

This review is brought to you by the Kentucky First Jurisdiction Church of God in Christ Sunday School Department.  

click here for a supplemental handout

LESSON AIM: By the end of the lesson, we will: understand that Job had unwavering belief in God’s redemption even as he was made to suffer; affirm that, through we suffer much, God loves us and offers us redemption; and acknowledge ways we are loved and blessed during times of trouble.

BIBLE TRUTH: God, the Redeemer, lives and constantly sends forth steadfast love to all people.

JOB 19:1-7 | King James Version (KJV)

1 Then Job answered and said,

2 How long will ye vex my soul, and break me in pieces with words?

3 These ten times have ye reproached me: ye are not ashamed that ye make yourselves strange to me.

4 And be it indeed that I have erred, mine error remaineth with myself.

5 If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me, and plead against me my reproach:

6 Know now that God hath overthrown me, and hath compassed me with his net.

7 Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but there is no judgment.

JOB 19: 23-29 | King James Version (KJV)

23 Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!

24 That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!

25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

28 But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the root of the matter is found in me?

29 Be ye afraid of the sword: for wrath bringeth the punishments of the sword, that ye may know there is a judgment.

If you are a regular attendee at church, chances are that within the past 30 days, you have heard a sermon preached out of the Book of Job. This man and his story are very familiar to us. But, don’t take it for granted that you “already know” this story. Our lesson focuses in on a piece of the story worth revisiting.
Since we’re popping into verse 19, here’s some background (just in case you really didn’t know). As Job begins suffering, his friends don’t necessarily come to his rescue. Instead, 3 of them take turns trying to explain to Job why he needs to straighten up his thinking. During this entire time, Job is defending his character, letting his wife and 3 friends (Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar) know that his sufferings weren’t present because of anything he had done. Eliphaz has already tried talking to Job, now it’s Bildad’s turn. In verse 18, Bildad went into all of the reasons why it just HAD to be Job’s fault that he was suffering. Our lesson begins with Job’s answer to Bildad.
In verse 1, Job asks Bildad about how long will the torturing question and answer session between them last? Instead of being friends, this is the second set of interrogating questions that Job has sat through. According to this passage, at least 10 times. He was severely ill. He was so disfigured that his friends barely recognized him, yet they didn’t let up from accusing him of sinning. Finally, when he can’t stand it any longer, Job looks to God for some sort of defense and doesn’t find it. He then accuses God of leaving him and judging him unjustly.
Once we get to verse 23, we see a different side of Job! After learning that his family and friends weren’t loyal to him, he finally turned back to God. We see Job’s confidence in God flourish.
Job wants to shout it from the roof top that he has a redeemer that is very alive! “Redeemer”, in Job’s times, referred to a person who provided legal representation, like an attorney. He’s confident that God will surely defend and rescue him. Look at verse 26, “even after I’m dead, I’m see God!” This is a blessed assurance for Job! No matter what came, Job believed in his God to vindicate him and make him totally whole again.



No comments:

Post a Comment