Saturday, March 1, 2014

God Has Another Plan - AN ETERNAL KINGDOM - International Sunday School Lesson for 3/2/2014

This review is brought to you by the Hope Temple Church of God in Christ Sunday School Department.  

2 Samuel 7:4-16 | King James Version (KJV)

4 But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan,

5 “Go and tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord: Would you build me a house to dwell in?

6 I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling.

7 In all places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges[a] of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’

8 Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince[b] over my people Israel.

9 And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth.

10 And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly,

11 from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover, the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house.

12 When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom.

13 He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.

14 I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men,

15 but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you.

16 And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me.[c] Your throne shall be established forever.’”

To ground ourselves, take a quick look at the first 3 verses of this chapter. The ark of the covenant (see below) was carried back to Jerusalem. David loved the Lord so much that he wanted to use his wealth of resources, given to him by his great God, to build a grand temple in which to worship the Lord. Nathan, David’s most trusted confidante, has just “touched and agreed” with him that David should build the Lord a temple.

Image from Wikipedia
Side Note: This is a scripture that should resonate with spiritual leaders, especially pastors. When David told Nathan what his desires were, Nathan advised David to “Go, do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you” (2 Sam. 7:3), instead of seeking God first. It’s easy for us to see how this misjudgment could have occurred…looking at what Nathan witnessed, God was with David. How else could he have been this blessed in the city and in the field? The Lord MUST have been with him. Nathan was looking at the human track record of David, but only God knows our beginning and end, our peaks and valleys, or strengths and weaknesses. This is something Nathan could have never know was coming down the pike. Before a spiritual counselor responds from his/her position to those being counseled, understand that the response should always be one that has been given by the Lord, and not a common sense judgment call.

During this time, King David was experiencing triumph and victory at every turn. In this particular passage, he is reigning over Jerusalem and thinking ahead of how he will continue to honor God for His grace and favor. Nathan was a friend and encourager for David, but he was first a prophet for God.

We see here that the Lord is instructing David not to move forward with building Him a temple, through the counsel of Nathan. God said "No" to David's offer because David was a man of war, and God wanted a man of peace to build His temple. 1 Chronicles 22:8-10 explains this: But the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'You have shed much blood and have made great wars; you shall not build a house for My name, because you have shed much blood on the earth in My sight . . . a son shall be born to you, who shall be a man of rest . . . He shall be build a house for My name.

So, God is honored that David would want to build Him a temple. He eases David’s mind and lets him know that He would provide a place for the people of Israel, which David loved. But, furthermore, God wanted David to understand that through his bloodline would come someone who come and “establish his kingdom…He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.”

An eternal kingdom could only be established by and for an eternal God. Jesus, the Messiah, is promised here. The answer of this promise is even greater than the original desire of David’s heart.

A key take away is the heart and mind of David. He was experiencing success and knew it was all because of God. His desire to “give back” is one that can set an example to those today who find great success in their business, family, health, gifts and abilities, and intellect. All of this comes from God. Always think about how to honor God by finding a way to give back.




No comments:

Post a Comment